A total of 119 designs are submitted from Germany, Austria and Switzerland in the competition to construct the Imperial Court of Justice building. The eleven-strong competition jury unanimously endorses the plans by the architects Ludwig Hoffmann (1852–1932) and Peter Dybwad (1859–1921). Hoffmann is then commissioned by the Office for National Justice to complete the plans and oversee construction.
Ludwig Hoffmann is born in Darmstadt on 30 July 1852. He studies architecture at the Academy of Art in Kassel and the Building Academy in Berlin from 1873 to 1879. He passes the first state examination in 1879 and the second in 1884. The Imperial Court of Justice building is his first work. After its completion, he is elected head of the Municipal Planning and Building Control Office in Berlin in 1896, a position he holds until 1924. This period sees the construction of numerous hospitals (including Rudolf Virchow Clinic Wedding, Buch-West hospital, Moabit hospital), cultural centres (including Märkisches Museum, the Friedrich Wilhelm University annex (today Humboldt University), contribution to the construction of the Pergamon Museum), social housing (including the Alte Jakobstrasse orphanage) and administrative buildings (including Klosterstrasse Town Hall, Fischerbrücke registry office and the post office in Buch). Ludwig Hoffmann passes away in Berlin on 11 November 1932.
Peter Dybwad is born in Christiania (now Oslo), Norway, on 17 February 1859. He studies at the Building Academy in Berlin from 1878 to 1882, becoming acquainted with Ludwig Hoffmann during this period. It is the start of a lifelong, close friendship. Peter Dybwad is also involved in the construction and completion of the Imperial Court of Justice building. He remains loyal to the Court, sitting on the Technical Advisory Board as consultant for structural issues until 1920. He sets up business as freelance architect in Leipzig once the Imperial Court of Justice building is finished, and is responsible for many residential and commercial properties, including businesses on Burgstrasse 1–5 and on Martin-Luther-Ring 20, as well as the Meyer & Co. bank on Thomaskirchhof 20, until his death on 13 October 1921.